Tuesday, 16 October 2012

International Feral Cat Day

International Feral Cat Day

Do you know what day it is today? If you are a feral cat you probably will; it is international feral cat day.  As I am the unofficial spokescat for feral cats I would like to tell all about it.

International Feral Cat Day was started 10 years ago by Alley Cat Allies, to educate more countries about the humane ways in which feral, and stray cat populations can be controlled by the TNR schemes (trap, neuter and release). You can discover more about the truth of feral cats from Alley Cat Allies click here
You can also watch a YouTube video about it.


There are those that think the best solution for feral cats is to remove them by poisoning and shooting; this is extremely cruel land unnecessary.Taking them to an animal shelter is also unwise, if a feral cat is handled at a young age it is possible to rehome them. Adults are more difficult and if left in a shelter they may not be suitable to be rehomed.

Surely feral cats have a right to life outdoors like other wildlife; the problems that arise is that of over population. This is remedied by the TNR schemes. Female cats can start breeding at six months old, so it is important to have them neutered as soon as possible.

As you will know I and my feline brother and sisters were feral cats. My mother was 100% feral and would never be able to live anywhere but outside.  Scratchy and I were lucky to have “adpoted “ the family that fed and cared for us. Blackie’s history is a little more dubious, we are not sure if she was a feral, or domestic cat that ended up living the life of a feral cat.

Before you do take a feral cat into your home please make sure you have it treated for fleas, ticks and worms.  If don’t want any flea infestations on your cat or in your house make sure you check your cat regularly. Fleas can cause worms in cats so it can be a vicious circle if you don't treat a cat for both of these parasites.

Even if you do not want to adopt or feed or make a donation, you can help a feral cat by just leave them some clean drinking water. More feral and stray animals die from dehydration than from starvation, and dehydration can be a big problem if you live in a country with very hot summers.

I count myself very lucky I found a loving and caring home; I don’t always appreciate it; so my humans tell me, but I am grateful.

This picture features my brother and sister, who are no longer with me, Scratchy and Dory.

Bye for now,next time I will have some more cats and blogs for you.