Tuesday, 22 January 2013

New Year Same Old Me


Robert Burns (public domain image)

New Year, now what thoughts spring to mind when New Year is mentioned.  I know humans like to make a very big deal over New Year with big parties and singing Auld Lang Syne (Old Long Since) The song is courtesy of a poem written by Scottish poet Robert Burns in 1788, and set to traditional folk music called Roud No. 6254

Many a New Year's party or any party come to think of it ends with many drunken renditions of Auld Lang Syne; and how many of you don't get past the first verse? How many of you don't know anything other than the first verse? Yes, I imagine quite a lot of you, me included, so as I am a generous pussy cat (on occasions) If you see below I have provide the full English translation of Aulde Lang Syne for you so you can get some practice in for next New Year.





Should old acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind ?

Should old acquaintance be forgot,

and old lang syne ?

CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
for auld lang syne,

we'll take a cup of kindness yet,

for auld lang syne.
And surely you’ll buy your pint cup !
and surely I’ll buy mine !

And we'll take a cup o’ kindness yet,

for auld lang syne.

CHORUS
We two have run about the slopes,
and picked the daisies fine ;

But we’ve wandered many a weary foot,

since auld lang syne.

CHORUS
We two have paddled in the stream,
from morning sun till dine ;

But seas between us broad have roared

since auld lang syne.

CHORUS
And there’s a hand my trusty friend !
And give us a hand o’ thine !

And we’ll take a right good-will draught,

for auld lang syne.

CHORUS

Incidentally it is Burns Night on the 25th January (I expect most Scottish folk will know that anyway)

We are now into week three of the new year and how many of you have broken your New Year's Resolutions, come on hands up!!!  Hum quiet a few I bet, so why do humans do this to themselves every year they say to : "I am going to loose this weight" "I am going to get myself a better job" " I am going to give up drinking, smoking, gambling" etc etc etc. Some do succeed but how many fail.  We cats however do not have such high expectations for ourselves, we do not make New Year's Resolutions we prefer to admit our shortcomings (to ourselves) and do not think to make resolutions that are impossible to keep.  Cats generally are very arrogant in our assumption of perfection, anyway we do not need to change our ways, we are what we are; new year same old me.

A diamond collar is my idea of perfection too


Now news from the home front;  Sooty is taking advantage of the very spring like weather we have had of late.  He is out and about patrolling the nearby fields looking for mice.  In fact the other week he decided to bring one in the house the other morning.  Much to his disgust the humans removed it before he could play with it, they decided to give him a toy mouse to play with, and quite rightly so he ignored it.  I have also been taking advantage of the nice weather and have decided to make myself quite invisible for the last few days.  Sooty and I are also not on good terms at the moment he and I are quite at loggerheads and have to be separated to avoid fights, even Gingy is avoiding him at the moment.

Gingy and Sooty when they were friends


I have also another award to tell you about, very generously given to me by my friend Nerissa; he has a great blog you can find it here : Nerissa's Life
    The award is Seven things about me, now in accepting this award I have to tell you seven things about myself.  This shouldn't be too hard; for those of you who know me well I have no trouble telling you things about me.
      1. I will eat just about anything, that's why my humans call me Piranha Patchy.
      2. I had another sister but she ran away when we were eight months old.
      3. I have been know to steal a cooked chicken leg.
      4. I much prefer the outdoors to indoors.
      5. I like to spend time alone.
      6. When I was little my humans didn't know if I was a girl or a boy, so they called me Patchy after my patchy fur.
      7. I love a good party.




        So there you have it, seven things about me.  Until the next time bye (")