Monday, 18 February 2013

The Cat's Whiskers

John Tenniel [Public domain], via Wikimedia Commons


As you will probably know by now that I am a cat who thinks a lot, I like my solitary musings and I also like to ponder on what I am going to post for you on my blog.

Me Musing


I started to think about idioms and proverbs like "The cats whiskers" and what they mean, of course cats being the superior beings that they are there are plenty of them. Here are a few of my favourites:


To grin like a Cheshire cat.
This was taken from the story Alice in Wonderland, the Cheshire cat was a character in the story that had a big grinning smile.  Lewis Carroll is said to have named the cat Cheshire because Cheshire produce cheese and cream therefore a Cheshire cat would be grinning.
A cat may look at a King.
This saying basically means that no one is so important that an ordinary person may not look upon them or be curious about them. I cat is superior to a king anyway; in my humble opinion.

The cat's whiskers.
To be the better than everyone; of course cats are.
A cat in gloves catches no mice.
You can not always get what you want by being careful and polite.
Has the cat got your tongue?
Usually said to someone who is refusing to speak. Personally why a cat would want a tongue is beyond my comprehension.
When the cat's away the mice will play.
When a person of authority is not around others behaviour becomes out of control. This usually applies to teenagers, take not parents! No chance of any mice playing while I am around.  
Look what the cat dragged in.
Used when someone is surprised at someones' appearance, it can also mean their appearance is untidy.  


I would like to tell you about a new website called ShowmeCats.  The website went live this month and it is a place for cat lovers to share their pictures and videos of their favourite anipal.  ShowmeCats vision is to provide a place to bring together cat lovers from all over the world and show everyone how wonderful we cats are.  If you would like to show the world pictures and videos of your precious pal, you need to register with the site; this is free, my human has registered too.   The ShowmeCats community have so far share pictures and video with 230 cats.

There are the following categories, I like that word "categories" can't think why though!!

The Curious; Cutie; Grumpy; Kittens; Lazy; Social; Curvy; Funny; Hipster; Hobbyist; Shy and Sporty.












Maru by Ginger

My Gorgeous Kitten - By Marie D

My Curious Boy - By Ginger




You can also find ShowmeCats on Facebook and Pinterest, if you would like to take a look at the web site
please click here: http://showmecats.com/

Don't forget to read the terms of service before you post any pictures. I have been given permission by ShowmeCats to post these on my blog.

Well I hope you had a lovely Valentines day, if you didn't get a Valentine's Card I have included one just for you at the end of my blog. My human has written an article all about Valentine's Day too: Who Was Saint Valentine?
Bye for now, until the next time. (")