Tuesday, 24 December 2013

The Night Before Christmas

Picture Courtesy of Face in Hole.
It is the night before Christmas, and I thought it would be the perfect time to write a Christmas blog post. There has been much toing and froing, shopping and dashing about, or course we cats don't have any input in all this activity, we leave all that to the humans. We certainly join in with the Christmas festivities, particularly when there is roast turkey or roast lamb around. If you remember my blog post from last year, I was bemoaning that you can only find turkey at Christmas in Cyprus. Well I sadly have to say that hasn't change, much to my disappointment.

This year on for my Facebook profile I decided to be a Christmas elf again, but this time in a snow globe. I think I look OK as an elf, although I am not a fan of the curly toed shoes, I can not imagine what it would be like trying to walk in them.

I was recently reading the poem Twas the Night before Christmas, written by Clement Clarke Moore and published in the New York Sentinel in 1823. The poem was published at request anonymously and was not revealed until 1844 that Clement Clarke Moore was the author of the poem; after he published a book of his poems.  I decided it might be fun to do my own version of  Twas the Night Before Christmas instead of my usual blog posts; so here it is:



Twas the night before Christmas, all was quiet as a mouse,
Even dad wasn't snoring and disturbing the house.
We hung up our stockings over the fireplace.
Sooty's stocking was so big it took all of the space.

We were then snuggled up in our cosy beds,
Dreams of catnip mice danced through our heads.
Mum had her cocoa and Dad his night cap,
Then I settled down for a very long nap.

When outside I heard the most terrible din,
I jumped from my bed, who's trying to get in?
I leapt to the window,my heart starting to race
And pull open the window at a very fast pace.

The moon and the stars were a beautiful sight,
Moonlight shone brightly it barely looked night.
Suddenly I saw something, oh what a surprise,
A sleigh and eight reindeer appeared before my eyes.

Who was driving the sleigh so nimble and quick,
I knew then at once it must be St Nick.
The reindeer flew through the night and onwards they came,
St. Nick whistled and shouted and called them their names.

"Dasher, Dancer, come on Prancer and Vixen!
now Comet, now Cupid! come on Donner and Blitzen!"
They flew by the houses and over the wall,
"Faster reindeer come on now, dash away all."

Just like a lightning streak through the night sky
They moved so quickly; like a blink of an eye.
Up to the roof tops the reindeer team flew,
The sleigh filled with toys and St. Nicholas too.

And then all of a sudden I heard on the roof,
The clippity, clapping of a reindeer hoof.
A ran into the house and knocked over a chair,
Down the chimney came St.Nick and was just standing there.

All dressed in red and white, from his head to his toe,
Covered in a layer of soot, but his face it did glow.
He had on his back a sack full of toys,
What a wondrous sight for all girls and boys.

He had rosy red cheeks and full rounded belly,
This reminded me of the Santa I had seen on the telly.
A Twinkle in his eye and upon his face a wide smile,
I was so in awe I stood in one spot for a while.

With a wink and a quick nod of his head
He whispered to me "It's time for you to go to bed."
He filled the stockings, then turned and tapped the side of his nose
And as quick as a flash up the chimney he arose.

He jumped into his sleigh and away he did dash,
Then they were gone as quick as a flash.
But I heard him bellow when he drove out of sight,
"Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night."











All that remains is for me to say is, "Have a Very Merry Christmas, with lots of good cheer, and I will see you once again in the New Year."